Washington, DC – As Peter Mutharika remains absent from public eye, American based and operated global affairs and international policy agency Foreign Policy has raised questions regarding the President’s whereabouts, the state of his health and his business in America.
Foreign Policy is an American news publication, founded in 1970 and focused on global affairs, current events, and domestic and international policy. It produces content daily on its website, and in six print issues annually.
It joins other leading global news networks like South Africa’s News 24 who have raised similar questions regarding the oddness of Peter Mutharika’s extended stay in the USA.
The Malawi government went to pains earlier claiming that the President was well, and warning anyone speaking of the possibility that Mutharika could be ill that they could be jailed.
Yet inspite the warnings, and repeated statements, several key questions remain, and were raised on Foreign Policy’s website as well, among other questions too.
1. What is Peter Mutharika still doing in the USA?
2. Why has Mutharika not been seen in public since delivering his speech?
3. If the rumours were serious enough for the government to refute them, why not provide proof of life – like a video showing the President as well?
4. If Mutharika is on official business, why have there been no reports of bilateral discussions between Malawi and US counterparts?
5. Having initially said Mutharika would return during the weekend, why has there been no explanation of his extension?
6. Instead of addressing the issue at hand, why has Malawi government resorted to threatening anyone discussing Mutharika’s whereabouts?
Malawians may have been the first to notice Mutharika’s absence, but now the world is asking the same questions too.